Age 9 & 10 – Grades 3 & 4
Games Monday & Wednesday
1. Ball – 11 inch ball is used
2. Bases – 60 feet between bases – Double safety base should be used if available
3. Pitcher’s plate – 35 feet from home plate
4. Game Length – play 7 innings or 1 ½ hour time limit. No inning can begin after 1 ½ hours.
5. Scoring – Keeping score at this level is not required. Teams should however provide one another with a lineup prior to the game starting so each team knows how many batters each team has.
6. Players – Teams can play with up to 10 players on defense in proper positions with 4 outfielders. A team must have at least 8 players to begin a game. If there are less than 8 players that team must forfeit, but the game can still be played as a scrimmage. If a team that begins with 8 players loses additional players the game can continue, but an out must be recorded each time a missing player’s turn to bat occurs. All players must be included in the batting order.
7. Jewelry – All jewelry must be removed prior to playing.
8. Cleats – No metal cleats allowed.
9. Positions – All players must play at least 1 inning in the infield. Pitcher can pitch a maximum of 3 innings per game.
10. Play Stoppage – Play stops when the ball is in the possession of the pitcher in the pitching circle (the 16 foot diameter area that includes the pitching plate in the center). If a base runner is not on the base they must go back to the base unless 2/3 of the way to the next base.
11. Overthrows – A runner may take one base on an overthrow.
12. End of Inning – An inning is over when a team gets three outs or the offense bats 10 players and the ball is returned to the pitcher in the pitching circle.
13. Leading Off/Stealing – A runner may lead off after the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand and must return to the base between pitches. No stealing allowed.
14. Helmets – Helmets must be worn in the on deck circle, batting, while base running and kept on until player exits the playing field.
15. Bunting – No bunting or slap bunting is allowed.
16. No throwing bats – Player will be warned by umpire of dangers of this action.
17. Pitching – a. 3 Weeks of Coach Pitch – Coaches will pitch the first three weeks to their own batters. Every effort should be made to encourage the player in the pitchers position to field their position. b. Player Pitching – Players will begin pitching in the fourth week of games. Pitchers can pitch using any underhand style which is comfortable for them. c. Pitcher Mechanic Rule – Pitcher should begin with at least one foot on the pitching plate with hands apart. Once the hands come together the pitcher may not take a step backward. The ball must be released between the 1st and 2nd step of the pitching motion
18. Walk Rule – (4 BALLS = WALK). There will be no walks, intentional or unintentional allowed in this league. Once a pitcher has thrown 4 balls, the coach from the batting team will pitch to the batter until the ball is put in play or the batter strikes out. After 4 consecutive walks by a single pitcher, the team will need to change pitchers.
19. Hit By Pitch – A player does not get first base when hit by a pitch.
20. Home Team Responsibilities – The home team is responsible for securing 1 umpire for behind home plate and preparing the field for play (setting up bases and pitching plate). If a game is cancelled for any reason it must be done by 4:00 p.m. and the home team coach must contact the opposing coach by 4:00 p.m.
21. Umpire/Coach Pregame Meeting – Before each game there should be a meeting between the umpire(s) and a coach from each team to go over the rules and field information (out of play etc).
22. Sportsmanship – All players, coaches, parents and fans are expected to treat one another with respect. Heckling of the umpire is not allowed and it will be the responsibility of the coach to control his/her players, parents and fans and put a stop to this behavior immediately.
23. ASA rules apply if not listed above.